Monday, November 22, 2010

Lone Survivor

This past weekend as we were getting ready to get on the bus and head to California for two games I noticed my teammate and former UNH Wildcat Jamie Fritsch had a copy of "Lone Survivor." I excitedly asked him if I could take it on the trip with me to which he obliged, not knowing I was taking it no matter what. I heard so much about the book and actually started reading it while I was at a Borders Bookstore recently and was captivated from the start, but had to take off and never got back to the book, until this past weekend. I hopped on the bus and took a little pregame nap. Not knowing we had been stuck in traffic the whole time I was sleeping, we still had a solid 4 hours of road to hit before we got to our game when I woke up. (More on that later). I opened the book and started reading where I left off. I couldn't put the book down. I mean I had to at one point because I had to go play our game, but it was incredible how quickly the time passed as I was fully enthralled (SAT word!) in the book. I rifled through 100 pages without putting it down. After the game we took off to our next city and I was back in the book again. Another 100 pages down. I ended up finishing the book when we were on our way back home after the second game. Almost 400 pages finished in two days. That has to be some kind of a record. Anyway the book is about Marcus Lutrell, a US Navy SEAL, who is the only survivor in one of the worst tragedies in US military history. He tells the story in full detail about how his team was killed and how he survived. It is truly remarkable. I have to say that ever since I graduated college where I never read any books I was supposed to read, I have really started to enjoy reading. I have to put this book right behind Travis Roy's "Eleven Seconds" as the top two books I've ever read. It was THAT good. If you haven't read the book, do yourself a favor and go get it now. You will not be disappointed.


As far as the results of our weekend, let's just say sitting on the bus for 6 hours and then going to play a game right away without a proper warmup was not a good thing for the Wranglers. We ended up losing 7-1 and I finished off with a -3 rating. Tough night for the boys. I usually would be losing my marbles about being -3 in a game like that, but after the book I just read, things didn't seem to bad. We ended up winning the next game 4-1, so not a terrible weekend.


This guy I know Karson Gillespie came to Las Vegas this past weekend and said we should meet up on Sunday when I was home from our road trip. I honestly hate the guy, but decided to humor him and meet up. No I'm just kidding, Karson is a very good friend of mine and I was pumped he was in my neighborhood and we would have a chance to meet up and catch up. He treated me to a ticket to Blue Man Group which was a pretty cool show that I have never seen. I treated him by showing him the bright lights and bud lights that Vegas has to offer. We had a great time bullspittin and reminiscing about our glory days. Never a bad time when a couple of former Terriers are mixin it up.



So there is a song on Taylor Swift's new album that I was listening...my buddy told me about so I checked it out. It's called Dear John. Apparently T-Swift had a little fling with John Mayer and he broke her little heart and so she wrote a song about it. I must say I really like the song, BUT and that is a big but, I don't agree with Swifter writing all these songs about former boyfriends and flings or whatever. Like she talks about how much she loved John Mayer and he broke her heart and lied to her and all that jazz. How long were they possibly seeing each other where she fell in love? I never heard about it and I am like a chick when it comes to celebrity gossip. I just don't get it. There are a few songs on the album that do the same thing. Pretty soon no guy is going to date her or talk to her because she will write a song about how you somehow suck. No guy wants that and believe me she will write a song about you and it will be really good and catchy and be in the top 10 and I will probably buy it on Itunes for the uncalled for jacked up price of 1.29$.






My wonderful sister Kristen, bought me an Ipod Nano for my birthday. I can't believe how small it is. I've picked boogers bigger than this. I'm really excited to get it going especially with all the new songs I purchased like Dear John, by Taylor Swift. Keeping it in the family, I checked my mail today and had a package from home. I thought it was just some paperwork, but there was a little present in it. My Mom read my last blog and decided to send me my copy of Elf I had at home. Thanks Linda!!
And speaking of Christmas I just booked my flight home for Xmas so I have a full 5 days off the week before the 25th. Count it!

I think that's it for today. Remember, you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose. Take care comb your hair.

2 comments:

  1. Shaeff!
    Great post. I was enthralled by your recount of the book. It has been on my "to read" list for some time. Keep up the great posts. Have a great Thanksgiving!
    Glenneration

    ReplyDelete
  2. great book, glad to see you're a good ole American boy at heart! and its great to see you put life in perspective! You have a wonderful way with words! I enjoy your blog... good luck in the season... take care!

    ReplyDelete